The sun is shining over here in Ohio-land and my spirits are feeling lifted. It’s day #4 of the ‘Dirty 30′ Whole30 challenge and I think the hardest part for me has been going without sugar. I’m amazed at how much sugar I gradually incorporated into my diet. Maple Syrup, honey, fruit and dark chocolate are all things that are allowed when eating Paleo and I guess I really was relying on sweet things. It’s crazy!
So, that’s been difficult but I know that if I starve my body from those sweet things for just a few days, it will start to go away. My past experience with the Whole30 was that by day 14 I felt no real food temptation to speak of and towards the end, I was barely having 2 servings of fruit a day. Our bodies are so amazing! It’s really awesome how we can train our bodies and minds to positively change.
Today I wanted to take a minute to share a really easy recipe that is Whole30 approved and is SO GOOD. It’s inspired by the Balanced Bites Stuffed Mushrooms recipe, which can be found in their amazing cookbook.
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Adapted from the Balanced Bites cookbook.
- Sausage Spice Mix (from the Balanced Bites Cookbook)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 T bacon fat
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Baby bella mushroom caps (6-12 depending on how many people you’re feeding)
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 zucchini, minced
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Over medium heat, cook the bacon fat in a medium skillet. Add the pork and sausage seasoning, cooking through.
- Take the mushrooms caps and wash them off, pull out the stems and place them on a baking sheet, bottom down. Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Once the sausage is cooked, add the garlic, peppers and zucchini let it cook together until the peppers are soft (5-10 minutes.)
- Turn the mushrooms cup side up and fill each with the sausage mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes (until the sausage gets brown and crunchy but not burnt)